Saturday, September 16, 2017

The Comeback of Hats


As a fashion accessory, hats have become one of the trickier options, for men as much as for women. It’s widely considered to be a rather eccentric part of the package we call outfit.
Once been a protective coverage, blocking heat and rain, as well as other threads to the sensitive head, the hat rose to become a flattering style element and finally was a hit- fashion item.
So why did hats disappear from our culture; our everyday life? Some people say the roots of this big shift in appearance, lie in the lack of necessity to cover the head. Due to the increased use of owned cars, instead of public transportation, men for example, did not feel the need anymore to constantly leave the house with a topping on their well-groomed hair.
And there is another reason to be found, deep in the fingertips of men and ladies who would rapidly cut back on their millinery-days: Was it common to clean your scalp once a week, washing your hair in increasing intervals, now made the habit of covering the beautiful and well-scented result obsolete.
The demise of formality may be as well a big reason for our almost hat-free society. Who would guess nowadays, that it was once even considered subversive, when a woman decided not to wear a head piece, as the common forms of etiquette required her to carry a hat in grace and acceptance of her place and role in life.
Transforming the imagination of men greeting by quickly lifting their hats, or women waving with theirs in sheer excitement into the here and now, seems almost comic. Then again, I have just recently witnessed a scene like that: A man in his early thirties who wore a laid back outfit, completed with a hat, that he tipped on twice as a gesture of friendliness, as he let a lady get ahead of him in line at the grocery store.
And I wondered: Why did this moment make me feel so warm and fuzzy? The lady smiled in delight, and none of this looked odd, or silly.
Then I realized that it was the way he carried himself, wearing this long gone fashion statement, that let everyone around him know how little important their understanding of proper looks was to him. Nothing in this man said ‘Look at me!’… ‘I am so different, I need to make it official’. All he did was just be. And be with pride and calmness.
That is the key, I thought. People in our time and age have often lost the ability to carry themselves with grace, which makes aspects of you that stand out, exactly what let you look harmonic.
Instead, showing off a hat that is not worn right on the beach or even presented in the city on a warm fall day, would be too ‘intense’ for many of us. As we have silently accepted that the risk to over-accessorize in our society seems worse, than to fade into the grey wall behind us. In fact, compared to past decades, our style has on too many occasions become as exciting as a wallpaper in a broom closet.
Up to the 1980s, ladies would enjoy their hats, often completed by matching handbags, shoes and gloves.
As Joan Collins first appeared in the hit-series Dynasty (1981-1989), she wore a big hat that first covered her immaculately made-up face, before the viewer got the first glimpse of the future bitch-goddess she played so well. Producer Aaron Spelling did get the intensity of that moment immediately, and said: 'Put hats on her, put a lot of hats on her!' And the millinery-marathon began, as thousands of women watching the series, got inspired by Alexis’ style manoeuvres.
Today, the hat has a little comeback that implies that it was never really gone, but still a thing for either super young fashionistas, or eccentric contemporaries. But as fashion trends also change as quickly as the weather in London, a revival of this simple, yet flattering item is in sight. I’m already waving with my hat, to welcome the trend back in our midst.


12 comments:

  1. Marvelous blog post, I love it.
    I love hats but can't wear them because I have a too big head. I can't buy any hat that fits me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, finding the right size is indeed not easy. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved the scene with the man and the lady! My husband wears a tweed cap or 'republica' as we call it here in Greece,and sometimes I feel that the hat makes him the most good looking man in the world and matches perfectly with his beard! I know it is silly but I totally understand the fussy and warm feeling that you described so beautifully in your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading your post on hats. It made me think of vintage hats I own. One is a fur hat that a sweet elderly friend gave me and the other is my Grandfather's tweed cap. Weather gives me excuse to wear a hat. In summer I have my favorite hats to wear to shield me from the sun. In the autumn and winter I have various caps to wear out to keep my ears warm. I don't enjoy snow all that much, but I find myself looking forward to the cold in order to enjoy my hat, glove and scarf collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree... snow is not my favorite either, but the hats and gloves are nice. And in summer, a hat is the best sun block one can think of. 💕

      Delete
  4. Hi - I just found your YouTube channel and blog, and wanted to say I subscribed to both, since I love not only what you talk about, but how you do it. Thank you for taking the time to add some beauty, calm and vintage inspiration to our lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so pleased to read that, thank you! Makes me smile now.. and motivated for the day. Have a lovely start into the new week!

      Delete
  5. I very much enjoy your work!! So inspiring�� As a lover of vintage items, I've been on the look out for a knowledgable and interesting "you-tuber" and "blogger"-you fit the bill!!��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoy your work!! So inspiring�� As a lover of vintage items, I've been on the look out for a knowledgable and interesting "you-tuber" and "blogger"-you fit the bill!!��

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question: I have a chesterfield camel-colour, knee-length coat from decent wool, rather on the heavy side, and wonder what hat/ cap to choose to go with it. The Internet isn't helpful, since this wasn't a style typically worn by women :( Every option seems too dramatic - a beige toque? a bordeaux woolen fedora? a fur hat? I know this needs to be rather sporty to match the rather manly line (as opposed to the typical, dress-like Chesterfields women would wear). Was anyone here in a similar position/ do you know, what could work?

    ReplyDelete