Friday, September 1, 2017

Vintage Country Style



Growing up in a farm town near the Baltic Sea in Germany, was an experience full of adventures, created by us kids in our own little cosmos. In our eyes, the fields became the wild desert, explored by horse. A small farm became a giant ranch to be taken care of.
Although I personally did not live on one, I spent many of my teen days with my friends on working farms, helping and being with animals, which was the best part of it all.
There was this old farmer, who we made a deal with: If we help cleaning out the stables and gathering in the harvest, we would be allowed to jump from a high point of the timbered framework, into the haystacks. And since money wasn’t half as interesting at this age as that prospect, we agreed.
After a long day of gathering the crops I heard every bone in my body yelling at me. Yet, jumping into the giant haystacks was the highlight of the summer. We screamed and giggled, climbed up to the beam again and dived into the itchy material again, like Scrooge McDuck into his money.
I am not exactly sure if our parents would have approved of these risky adventures, but we kept the focus on our labour and how wonderful the nature was, when talking about our farm days at home.
These beautiful memories come back every time I dress (up) for a weekend or day in the countryside.
Back in the days, I actually wore jeans and t-shirts, sometimes with holes in them, from playing; rider boots and my hair gathered in a messy ponytail.
Nowadays my interpretation of a vintage country style leans a lot more into the 1940s and 50s.
A soft skirt and blouse, button up dresses and cozy pants, provide the perfect country-feeling with little effort.
Today, I don’t explore the world on a horse anymore, nor have I yet found a farmer who would let me jump into his haystacks. (And I assume this would lead to even more risky situations than back then.)
But there are still days that bring back these memories quite vividly, when the sunset dips flora and fauna into a warm, golden blanket of colors. And the apple trees let me harvest their precious fruits while the cows friendly gather in a half-circle. Yes, they do that. Cows are smart and wonderful animals. So are pigs and geese…
I can’t wait for the next time I can dress up for a visit to my childhood, enjoying a few hours of peace, merging with nature. Then my batteries will be recharged for some time at a place that is far from that reality. My desk.


"...Don't sit under the apple tree, with anyone else but me..."


Vintage dress with rose print & sandals


6 comments:

  1. I always look forward to anything you post or share on YouTube, you always bring back happy memories for me! May I ask,who is your photographer? ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I mainly create the photoshoots myself and keep it at that when a partner or friend helps, but wants to remain anonymous. :)

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely post, Lily. I grew up in the country too; at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains in North Georgia, USA. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Your outfits are beautiful and so appropriate for country living. I'm a dresses and skirts girl myself; I love feeling feminine and flowy in my clothes. Your beautiful outfits are an inspiration! Much love from Nashville,Tennessee ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a wonderful place to have a childhood in! Thank so much for sharing that! Love to Nashville! ❤️

      Delete
  3. Liebe Lily,
    ehrlich, ich finde eine Kuh sieht wenn man VOR dem Weidezaun steht immer viel kleiner und freundlicher aus als wenn man HINTER dem trennenden Zaun mit ihr auf der Weide ist.... ;-)
    Wunderbar be- und geschrieben entführt uns dein Post in eine ländliche Idylle - und ich fühle mich absolut privilegiert meinen Schreibtisch nur etwa 10 m von der nächsten Weide stehen zu haben.
    Herzliche Grüße und Danke für den reizenden Beitrag
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 Meter von einer Weide... da würde ich mich auch wohl fühlen! Herzliche Grüße und einen schönen Start in die neue Woche!

      Delete