Sunday, October 29, 2017

My vintage afternoon tea and homemade snacks



A vintage tea time is likely the most elegant and calming act on a cozy afternoon. Especially fall is the season of long walks in the cooler air, books and tea.
How we experience a tea culture is defined by the many ways tea is prepared and consumed in different parts of the world. And this is also what allows us to interact in a refined manner, that can often build a bridge between cultures over a hot, aromatic beverage.
The diverse traditions are also accompanied by either savoury, or sweet goods. Which can mean English scones and cucumber sandwiches over a cup of Earl Grey, or a Masala Chai with spicey lentil fritters in India.
No matter where the tea time is held though, people all over the world not only cherish this tradition because of simply consuming nutrients. It is even more than a breakfast or dinner after a long, stressful day. It’s quality time. It cheers you up on a grey, depressing day. It provides the frame for a welcoming atmosphere for your friends and is a silent party that lets the mind wander.

Handmade vintage teapot made in Lübeck, Germany

To me, the process of making tea is almost meditative. To find the right tea and perfect flavour, can take a long time. But once the choice is made, the scent of the leaves and spices is already a joy. And I am sure, even for the reluctant tea-naysayer, there is a brew out there that will make you fall in love with it.
My favorites are Chinese green tea in the morning (since I reduced my coffee intake enormously) and often masala chai or mate in the afternoon. Yerba mate is the national drink of some countries in South America. Argentina for example.
Russians often serve Zavarka, a strong tea prepared in a separate tea pot and enjoyed in often several rounds.
Also fennel / anis / caraway and sometimes black tea, are on my list every week.
I also rarely use tea bags. What I prefer is loose-green that I simply put in the teapot without any filter and then just use a strainer to pour it into a cup.
Green tea is widely considered one of the healthiest options and is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients. It contains bioactive compounds that can have various beneficial effects on health.
Black is -according to several sources- the most processed tea. Although I still enjoy a cup once in a while, I have learned that green has a better impact on my energy level and mental well-being.
Another interesting variation is Mint tea, often enjoyed in Morocco. The hot beverage is such a strong part of the Moroccan culture, that a day without it seems unlikely.
To find my very own favourites of snacks to enjoy with my tea, I came across so many nice variations of baked goods and spicy bits to nosh on, that I couldn’t press them all into a simple post. But in this vintage tea time- variation, I mostly rely on very simple, easy-to-make- recipes.
Since it is autumn in my hemisphere, the apples in my neighbours' garden were perfect for my cinnamon curd rolls with apple pieces. Since I don’t eat much sugar, I let the fruit, cinnamon and vanilla unfold the sweetness, while cutting the amount of refined sugar.
The recipe is one of my favourites and I hope you enjoy them just as much as my loved ones and I.
Bottoms up!



10 comments:

  1. What a lovely tea table :) My great-grandmother (who was Scottish) celebrated High Tea on Sundays and 'tea' on weekdays was always a cuppa and a sandwich - for us kids usually also the last meal of the day. I still catch myself saying "having tea" when I mean a cold (non-cooked) dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that! What a precious memory. <3

      Delete
  2. I collect&own many bone china tea cups. My daughters and I have tea on most Sundays and high tea on birthdays with a friend or two. I am doing my part bring tea time back and make it "hip" in my corner of the world (USA) and by sharing tea time with future generations. Thanks Lily for sharing tea time on the global stage! Cheers!������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the idea of making something so relaxing and cozy as tea time hip again! And I like how Americans often bring new life to classic habits in such a wonderful way. 💗💗

      Delete
  3. I am mostly a coffee lover and precisely a cappuccino lover but I do not say no to tea! Especially when a good company is included! When I was a university student in England ( a long time ago!) I learned all about tea and is genre of 'high tea' or 'having your tea' as the first lady commended above! When my sister arrived and settled working there, I was treated to tea in hotels ( because I was the poor student and my sister could afford treating me!) Since then, when my sister pays a visit back in Greece she always brings me good English tea and a cup or a teapot! I told her to stop bringing me cups and teapots because I have run out of space! and stick on the tea! I really miss our tea times together! I had written a blog post last January with the title 'It's tea time!' and I had included a recipe for a classic Victoria cake.Feel free to include this recipe to your collection if you haven't already done! Oh! you brought me back so many memories! God bless you, dearest Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are such wonderful memories. Your sister sounds like a lovely person! Thank you for sharing this. <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post and I absolutely adore the teapot in the pictures, its beautiful! Tea has been a big part of my life for many years. Here in Boulder, Colorado we have Celestial Seasons tea factory. I love visiting the factory. They have a room where you can try the different kinds of tea they make before going on a tour. Then in the gift shop they sell their teas along with pretty teapots and cups. Its always a fun day going there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The tea pot was a present from my mom when we visited a small city and stopped by a little manufactory. Celestial Seasons sounds like a really nice place to go spend a cozy afternoon! <3

      Delete
  5. Love your teapot~it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete