Monday, October 2, 2017

Superfood Pomegranate


Although I am not a fan of studies, which tend to regularly get refuted, or apply as outdated, I can't imagine that the ones that claimed pomegranates (punica granatum) to be among the healthiest foods on earth, will ever be debunked. Even though there is still relatively limited research data.
Looking like the apple’s eccentric twin, the pomegranate belongs to the family of berries. It’s seeds- called arils- are crunchy, sweet and make the perfect addition in any healthy dessert, or interesting side dish.
Based on excavations of the early Bronze Age, it is believed that the pomegranate was one of the first cultivated fruits. Aside from the great taste and wonderful color, it has inflammatory effects, which is one of the reasons I put this little sweetheart antioxidant on my personal top-list of ‘superfoods‘.
As a long time Psoriasis patient, I couldn’t praise it enough, as a method to reduce the inflammatory activity in my body. It helps to go against my joint pain, especially during the colder, damp months of the year and if I may trust the studies I‘ve read about, the pomegranate is a little fighter against the risk of heart disease, certain types of cancer and fungal infections.
Now, when it comes to the well-known claims that a type of superfood may be actually able to cure diseases, I am the first sceptic that rolls her eyes. Haven’t there been too many people, who followed self-proclaimed health gurus and overstuffed themselves with a single food group, while wondering about sudden blurred vision and other side effects.
Personally, I believe in the regulation of all things, including food intake. Eating in moderation and as unprocessed as possible, has turned out to be the way for me.
As for the skin, pomegranate makes a partner in crime against early signs of aging and in the improvement of our biggest organ.
Even it’s inedible peel contains the precious antioxidants and works as a great moisturizer.
Altogether, my favorite apple-sister (as I called it as a child), will definitely be on my food-shopping list for a long, long time.


I regularly enjoy the seeds with some Greek yoghurt and a spoon of honey. It makes a satisfying dish when the munchies stop by and a piece of chocolate just doesn’t do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment